Sunday, July 24, 2016

LOOKING: THE MOVIE

Looking: The Movie premiered at the Castro Theater in San Francisco, California, on June 26, 2016 as the final film shown at the San Francisco International LGBTQ Film Festival, Frameline 40.

Celebrating Patrick's return to San Francisco. Photo: HBO.
Last night, I watched it on HBO and was happy to once more be in the San Francisco inhabited by the characters created by Michael Lannan.

The film, which serves as a form of closure for the two seasons of the HBO series, was written by Michael Lannan and director Andrew Haigh.

No spoilers here, but I will say I teared up at the end, when two characters walk up Castro Street after a night of drinking to join friends in the 24-hour diner, Orphan Andy's. I've done that more than a few times over the years.

As I wrote here on my blog, I regret there's no gay-themed film or television series set in 1990's San Francisco to remind me of that era in my life. I'm glad Looking captured its take–if all too briefly–on today's LGBTQ experience in the City by the Bay.

No comments:

Post a Comment